Do you love rum balls as much as I do? Then this is the perfect recipe for you!
I was quite fascinated when I had my first rum ball! Just like everyone, I also wondered what it would taste like. Just so you know, it does not have too much rum 😂
Traditionally, rum balls are made using vanilla cookie wafers, pecans, walnuts, rum, icing sugar, cocoa powder, and corn syrup. However, we have modified the version into a much-accepted taste by our palate.
These cute little balls are made of chocolate sponge, crushed and mixed with rum and smooth chocolate ganache. Finally, they are turned into ball shapes and coated in different layers like cocoa powder or melted chocolate!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy and Quick: Unlike most rum balls recipes, which have numerous ingredients and take a lot of time to make, this recipe is relatively easy to follow and honestly doesn’t take much of your time. It’s hassle-free yet so delicious.
- Make Your Version: You can always twist the recipe to make it your own. It has room for add-ons like walnuts, pecans, chocolate chunks, raisins, etc.
- Make it Kids-Friendly: If you want to make these rum balls for kids, you can simply skip the rum and add orange/cranberry juice in the same quantity.
Important Ingredients Used For The Recipe
It’s true that simple and few ingredients can make for a great dessert! So as this recipe.
- Chocolate sponge: rum balls require a soft chocolate sponge. Now, you can bake a fresh cake. Else, it’s an excellent way to convert any leftover sponge into this decadent dessert.
- Ganache: using the right consistency of ganache is important for the balls’ structure. I recommend using two parts chocolate and 1-part cream ratio for the ganache. This truffle ganache is more stable and can hold the shape well.
- Rum: Of course, we have the special ingredient, ie. Rum. I mostly use and recommend dark rum as it provides a better flavor. In case you do not prefer rum, you can also use bourbon. Remember, quantity is the key; too much will make the dessert bitter, and too little will leave you tasting just chocolate balls.
The recipe card below gives a complete list of ingredients with their quantities and instructions.
How To Make Rum Balls
- Preparation: Gather all ingredients required to make the sponge, ganache and assemble the rum balls. Preheat the oven to 180C (OTG mode: upper rod+ lower rod+ fan). Also, prepare a 6-inch round tin by greasing and lining it with oil and butter paper.
Method for Sponge
- Dry Ingredients: Start by sifting dry ingredients – flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Give the mixture a stir.
- Wet Ingredients: In a different bowl, collect and mix all wet ingredients- milk, apple cider vinegar, oil, and vanilla essence.
- Make Batter: Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gradually and mix to make a smooth batter. The batter should be lump-free.
- Bake: Transfer the batter to the prepared tin and bake at 180C (OTG mode: lower rod only) for 20 minutes. Once the cake is baked, keep it aside to cool down completely.
Method for Ganache
- Heat chocolate and cream: Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl using a microwave. Separately, warm the fresh cream.
- Make Ganache: once you have melted chocolate and warm cream, mix the two and stir till you get a homogeneous mixture. It should be smooth and shiny.
Method for Assembly
- Crumble The Cake: To make the rum balls, start by crumbling the sponge in a bowl using a fork.
- Add Ganache and Rum: Now, add chocolate ganache and rum to the crumbled sponge. Mix it well to make a compact mixture.
- Shaping: take the mixture and make balls weighing 20g each. Roll them on your palms to give them proper shape. Place them on a lined baking tray.
- Freeze: Now, insert a toothpick in the center of each ball and place the tray in the freezer for 30-40 minutes.
- Enrobing: once the balls are set, dip them in melted chocolate one by one and place them back on the lined tray. Let the chocolate coating set on the balls.
- Decoration: After the chocolate has been set, remove the toothpicks from the balls and drizzle some melted white and dark chocolate on top. Garnish the rum balls with some gold flakes.
Chef’s Tips For The Recipe
Tip For Rum
Add an appropriate quantity of rum. Adding more will make the balls too wet and might taste more bitter.
Use a good brand of rum/ bourbon.
Tip For Chocolate
I prefer using couverture chocolate over the compound to get the best taste.
You can add crushed walnuts, pecans, or raisins if you like.
How To Store Rum Balls
Place the assembled rum balls in an airtight box. You can store them in the refrigerator and consume them within 3 to 4 days.
More Easy Recipes
Try my other quick dessert recipes like Fantasy Fudge, Granola Bars, and No-bake Cookie Dough Bites.
Frequently Asked Questions
I recommend using good brand dark rum. You can use white rum or even dark bourbon if rum is something you don’t want to use.
No, it is very unlikely for anyone to get drunk eating rum balls. The quantity is pretty low, which is also mixed with other ingredients. So the amount of rum you get in a few rum balls is meager.
There are several different flavors you can make with rum balls.
There are endless ways to add flavors to a rum ball. You can use desiccated coconut for coconut flavor and add nuts and dried berries you like. Add some caramel if you want, and coat them in different kinds of sprinkles and chocolate.
Rum Balls Recipe
Rum Balls: Make these super easy and delicious chocolate rum balls for everyone to gobble.
- Total Time: 85 to 105 minutes
- Yield: 15–18 portions 1x
- 63g All-Purpose Flour
- 63g Castor Sugar
- 6g Cocoa Powder
- 1g Baking Soda
- 36g Oil
- 1ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 66ml Milk
- 1ml Vanilla Essence
- 1g Salt
- 100g Dark Chocolate
- 50g Fresh Cream
- 250g Tempered Dark Couverture Chocolate (For Dipping)
- 2 tbsp Dark Rum
- White and Dark Compound Chocolate For Garnish (Melted)
- Gold Flakes For Garnish
Method For Sponge:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (OTG Mode: upper rod + lower rod + fan). Grease and line a 6-inch round tin.
- In a bowl, sieve all dry ingredients, i.e., flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Give this a good mix.
- In another bowl, mix all wet ingredients- milk, apple cider vinegar, oil, and vanilla essence.
- Now add dry ingredients to the wet ones and make a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the lined tin and bake at 180C (OTG mode: lower rod only) for 20 minutes.
Method For Ganache
- Melt dark chocolate and warm the cream in a microwave.
- Mix the two until a homogeneous ganache is formed.
Assembly of the Rum Balls
- Crumble the sponge with a fork. Add ganache and 2 tbsp dark rum to it. Mix well.
- Now, make balls of 20gm each.
- Insert toothpicks in each ball and freeze them for 30-40 minutes.
- Now hold the balls using a toothpick and dip them in chocolate. Place them back on a lined tray for the chocolate to set. Remove the toothpicks gently.
- Decorate the balls by drizzling dark and white chocolate using a piping bag. Garnish with some gold flakes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Assembly Time: 40 to 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes