Cream cheese frosting is loved by almost all the people in the world. With its rich, creamy texture and tangy sweetness, it can transform any simple dessert, like a cake or cupcake, into a special one.
But what if you are following a vegan diet or have dairy restrictions? I bring you the vegan cream cheese frosting to save the day.
In this blog post, I will tell you how to make THE PERFECT VEGAN CREAM CHEESE FROSTING that will elevate your amazing desserts to the next level.
It can be frosted on carrot cake, red velvet cake or any other dessert that you want to try on. It is one of my all-time favourite frostings for any vegan dessert that I make.
It is smooth, creamy and spreadable, which can be used in layering a cake as well.
Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- Flavor: This frosting tastes the same as a traditional cream cheese frosting, only with additional health benefits. It has a sweet and a hint of tangy flavor that comes from the vegan cream cheese.
- Texture: It has a luxurious, velvety, smooth, and creamy texture that makes it easy to spread on desserts. It is firm enough to be piped in different designs on cakes and cupcakes.
- Customizable: This frosting is pretty customizable. You can add melted chocolate or natural cocoa powder for chocolate flavour or even Biscoff spread to give it a nice caramel and cinnamon flavour.
- Versatile: Vegan cream cheese frosting is quite versatile. It can be used as a topping, filling or even a dip for a variety of sweet desserts, from cakes and cupcakes to cookies and fruits.
Important Ingredients Used in the Recipe
- Vegan cream cheese: It is the star ingredient of this recipe. It provides a creamy and velvety texture to frosting, along with a hint of tangy flavour. Use good quality vegan cream cheese that is made with cashews, almonds or soybeans.
- Vegan unsalted butter: To achieve the right consistency of the frosting, I have used vegan unsalted butter. It makes the frosting rich and smooth in texture. Use vegan unsalted butter that is plant-based or dairy-free to make the frosting 100% vegan.
- Icing sugar: Apart from adding sweetness, it adds stableness to the frosting. Sift the icing sugar before adding it to the frosting.
- Soy milk: To adjust the consistency of the frosting, I have used soy milk for this recipe. You can also use almond or coconut milk instead of soy milk.
- Salt: Adding salt enhances the overall taste of the frosting. So, make sure that you do not skip adding salt to the frosting.
- Vanilla essence: Vanilla essence adds a beautiful aroma and a hint of vanilla to the frosting. You can also try adding different extracts or essences to the frosting.
How to Make Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting?
Preparations: Gather all the ingredients that you need for the recipe. Make sure that you weigh them through a kitchen weighing scale for better results.
Mix soy milk and icing sugar: In a medium-sized bowl, mix soy milk and icing sugar and keep it aside. Make sure that you sift icing sugar before adding to the soy milk. As icing sugar naturally has lumps in it, it may make the frosting a bit grainy.
Beat vegan unsalted butter: In a different bowl, beat vegan butter with an electric hand beater until it’s light and fluffy. Use an electric hand beater or stand mixer to beat butter.
Add vegan cream cheese: Add vegan cream cheese to the beaten butter and beat again with the electric hand beater until properly incorporated.
Add the rest of the ingredients: In the same bowl, add in soy milk and icing sugar mixer along with salt and vanilla essence, then beat again properly until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
Chef’s Tips For The Recipe
Quick Tips For A Smooth Frosting
Use room-temperature ingredients to make the frosting.
Sift icing sugar before mixing it with soy milk.
Use good quality vegan cream cheese and vegan unsalted butter for the best result.
Do not over-mix the frosting, or it may lead to runny or thin frosting.
Fixing A Runny Frosting
If the frosting is soft, keep it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to make it firm.
How to Store Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
You can store this frosting in the refrigerator for 1 week. Make sure that you keep it in an airtight container.
It can be stored in the freezer for 15 – 16 days in an airtight container or piping bag. Make sure to thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and re-whip it to bring it to the right consistency.
More Easy Recipes
If you liked this recipe, then I am sure you will like our other frosting recipe as well:
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use homemade vegan cream cheese to make the frosting. Just make sure that it has a creamy texture and is well-drained.
If your vegan cream cheese frosting is too thin, then you might have added too much soy milk. To thicken it, add a little bit of icing sugar and beat again.
Yes, you can make frosting in advance. You can store this frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week.
It is due to icing sugar not dissolving completely. To avoid that, mix icing sugar with soy milk properly and sift it before.
Yes, you can use this frosting as a filling or pipe intricate cake design. It has a smooth and creamy texture that makes it easy to spread and stabilize enough to pipe designs on cakes or cupcakes.
- 150 g Vegan unsalted butter
- 100 g Vegan cream cheese
- 100 g Icing or confectioners’ sugar
- 20 g Soy milk
- ½ tsp Vanilla essence
- Mix soy milk and icing sugar in a medium-sized bowl and keep it aside. Make sure that you sift icing sugar before adding to the soy milk.
- In a different bowl, beat vegan butter with an electric hand beater until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add vegan cream cheese to the beaten butter and beat again with the electric hand beater until properly incorporated.
- In the same bowl, add soy milk, icing sugar mixer, salt, and vanilla essence, then beat again properly until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Prep Time: 10 to 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 to 15 minutes