When it comes to frostings, we often think about buttercream, frosting made with cream cheese or whipping cream.
But have you ever tried making frosting with mascarpone cheese? It’s a creamy, silky texture with a slightly sweet flavour that takes your cake, cupcake or any dessert to a whole new level.
It gets a little tedious when you use the same kind of frosting on all your desserts, so make this mascarpone cheese frosting for your next dessert and lift the overall taste of the dessert. And if you are wondering what makes this frosting so special, let me tell you that this Italian cheese is a game-changer. Its smooth and luscious texture can add a luxurious touch to any dessert.
Mascarpone cheese frosting not only brings a creamy texture and sweet flavour but also perfectly balances out the sweetness of any dessert. It is also very versatile; whether you are simply making the frosting or twisting it by adding chocolate, it will not disappoint you.
So gather the ingredients, follow the instructions in this blog, and dive into the deliciousness of mascarpone cheese frosting. And trust me, it will have you licking your fingers before applying it to your desserts.
Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- Flavour: This mascarpone cheese frosting has a slight sweetness that is not too sugary. The sweetness enhances the overall taste of the frosting without changing the flavour of the base dessert. It strikes a perfect balance between sweetness and creaminess that makes the base dessert shine.
- Texture: This Italian cheese is known for its creamy and smooth texture. When it is turned into a frosting, it creates a velvety and luscious texture that melts in your mouth.
- Easy: Making this frosting is very easy, with only a few steps. Whether you are a beginner or a pro at baking, making this frosting is easy. You can frost a cake with it or use it to pipe swirls on top.
- Versatile: This frosting is quite versatile. You can pair it with anything. The most desirable pairing would be tiramisu, which is loved by almost everyone. You can also add flavours to the frosting by adding cocoa powder or citrus flavour.
Important Ingredients Used in the Recipe
- Mascarpone cheese: It is the star ingredient of this recipe. It gives the frosting its creamy and velvety texture with a hint of sweetness. The flavour of mascarpone cheese is more subtle compared to cream cheese, which compliments a wide range of desserts.
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream adds extra creaminess and richness to the frosting. When combined with mascarpone cheese, it helps in achieving the desired consistency that can be spread, piped or used as filling in between the layers of cake.
- Icing sugar: Icing sugar adds sweetness to the frosting. Its finely powdered texture dissolves easily into the frosting and ensures that the sweetness is evenly distributed. It also contributes to the stability of the frosting by absorbing excess moisture.
How to Make Mascarpone Cheese Frosting:
Preparations: Gather all the ingredients that are needed for making the frosting. Measure the ingredients through a kitchen weighing scale to get the best result.
Soften mascarpone cheese: In a bowl, soften mascarpone cheese with a spatula, then set it aside. Softening it will help in mixing with other ingredients properly. Since it tends to curdle faster, make sure that you do not mix too much.
Beat heavy cream with icing sugar: In a different bowl, beat heavy cream and icing sugar together with an electric hand beater until you get a soft peak in it. Make sure that you sift the icing sugar before adding to the heavy cream, or it may create lumps that can ruin the texture of frosting.
Add mascarpone cheese and vanilla flavour: Add mascarpone cheese and vanilla essence to it and give it a final mix until all the ingredients are incorporated properly.
Chef’s Tips For The Recipe
Do not over mix frosting too much after adding mascarpone cheese, or the frosting may curdle since mascarpone cheese tends to curdle a bit faster.
Sifted Icing Sugar
Sift icing sugar before adding it to the heavy cream, to avoid a grainy frosting.
Prevent Curdling Of Heavy Cream
Do not overbeat the heavy cream since it may ruin the texture of the frosting.
How to Store Mascarpone Cheese Frosting
You can store this frosting in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 2 – 3 days.
I recommend consuming the dessert frosted with this frosting on the same day if stored on the same day.
More Easy Recipes
Check out our other delicious frosting recipes that are as tasty as this one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use this frosting on any dessert. Since it is quite versatile, it can be paired with a wide range of desserts. You can use it as filling in cannoli or to make the classic tiramisu dessert.
If the mascarpone frosting has turned runny, keep it in the fridge for a few minutes and re-whip it. You can also try adding a little bit of icing sugar to it to prevent a runny texture.
Yes, with this mascarpone frosting, you can pipe it on cakes and cupcakes. But keep in mind that it is not suitable for hot weather, and it may slide off.
Yes, you can add almond extract, lemon extract or cocoa powder to give it a nice twist. You can also add melted chocolate but remember that the texture may become too soft or runny.
- 100 g Mascarpone cheese
- 80 g Heavy cream
- 60 g Icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- In a bowl, soften mascarpone cheese with a spatula, then set it aside. Softening it will help in mixing with other ingredients properly.
- In a different bowl, beat heavy cream and icing sugar together with an electric hand beater until you get a soft peak in it. Make sure that you sift the icing sugar before adding to the heavy cream, or it may create lumps that can ruin the texture of frosting.
- Add mascarpone cheese and vanilla essence to it and give it a final mix until all the ingredients are incorporated properly.
- Prep Time: 5 to 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 to 15 minutes