The Ultimate Coconut Buttercream Frosting is here for you this summer!! It’s thick, luscious, creamy and damn impressive! You wouldn’t think twice before grabbing that spoonful of it!
Coconut frosting is one of the underrated frostings, I must say. Many don’t understand the right pairing for it, and many end up using artificial essence to flavour the frosting which does not taste authentic.
But today, I have got the best recipe for you. After trying this one, you wouldn’t search for any other recipe. I’m using coconut milk to provide the best creamy and authentic coconut flavour.
Use it on your classic vanilla cake or cupcake with a perfect berry combination, and you will have the most amazing summer dessert ready!!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe?
- Its Texture: Most of the time, people add coconut essence to whipped cream and get done with it. While that’s one way to make the easy and quick frosting, however, to get the perfect textured frosting requires more than that. With unsalted butter and coconut milk, you will get the most creamy and smooth frosting, which is ideal for spreading and piping.
- Finger-Licking Good: trust me when I say you will eat this frosting spoon by spoon once you taste it. It’s the most delicious coconut frosting I have ever eaten, and I’m sure you’ll love it too.
- Complementing Flavour: Coconut is one such flavour that can be paired with various other flavours for the best-tasting experience. E.g., you can pair this frosting with flavours like strawberry, Raspberry, Banana, Lime, Mango, Caramel, Chocolate and many more.
Important Ingredients Used In The Recipe
- Unsalted Butter: Time and again, I keep reminding you to use unsalted butter for frostings as it helps balance the flavours nicely. It becomes perfectly adjustable for the amount of salt we want to add to the frosting.
- Coconut Milk: The sole ingredient responsible for the yummiest flavour in the frosting is coconut milk. It is easily available in the market. It provides the authentic taste you are looking for. And to top it all gives the best creamy texture to the frosting.
- Icing Sugar: Sifted powdered sugar provides the sweetness needed in the frosting. Adding it gradually helps incorporate it well.
- Vanilla Essence and Salt: Both vanilla essence and salt help elevate the flavour of the frosting. Without it, the buttercream will taste bland and won’t have the punch it needs.
How To Make Coconut Frosting
Preparation: Like always, collect the ingredients and tools required to make the coconut frosting. You will find the list of ingredients with their quantities mentioned in the recipe card below.
Creaming: Using an electric hand dryer, start creaming softened unsalted butter in a bowl at medium speed. Beat till the butter becomes fluffy and airy. This could take a couple of minutes.
Mix Milk and Icing Sugar: Mix coconut milk and icing sugar in a separate bowl. Combine until the sugar dissolves completely and no sugar lumps are there.
Add milk-Sugar mix: Now that the coconut milk and sugar have been mixed, add it to the creamed butter and continue beating. Make sure to combine the entire mixture well.
Add Vanilla And Salt: Lastly, add the vanilla essence and salt to the frosting and give it a final mix.
Chef’s Tips For The Recipe
Tip For Coconut Milk
Shake the can/tetra pack before opening and adding to the frosting. The milk is thick, and without shaking it, there will be only water on top which you may end up using.
Use Room Temperature Ingredients
It is crucial to use room temperature ingredients to get the best emulsification happening. Cold butter and milk won’t give the best results.
How To Store Coconut Frosting
Use the frosting immediately once you prepare it. If you want to make it ahead of time, then store it in the refrigerator and use it within three days. Ensure to thaw and re-whip before using.
More Easy Recipes
Experiment and try this delicious frosting with my dessert recipes- Eggless Mango Cake and Funfetti Bento Cake.
Frequently Asked Questions
I highly recommend using canned coconut milk. It is thick and creamy and gives the best results.
Yes, coconut cream is all the more thick, creamy and flavourful. However, the quantity won’t be the same. So add 1 tbsp at a time into the butter and adjust accordingly.
Absolutely yes!! You add it to the frosting or on top of the dessert. Both will enhance your tasting experience.
- 150g Unsalted Butter
- 50ml Coconut Milk
- 150g icing Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- In a bowl, beat softened unsalted butter using a hand beater at medium speed. Beat until the butter turns pale and fluffy. This is the stage where maximum air is incorporated into the frosting.
- Mix coconut milk and icing sugar in a separate bowl until the sugar dissolves. Add this mixture to the creamed butter and beat again.
- Finally, add vanilla essence and salt to the frosting and give it a final mix.
Your super luscious coconut frosting is ready to use!!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes