A soft, fluffy, and easy vanilla sponge cake is all you need to make amazing cream cakes. If you are new to baking, then this easy eggless vanilla sponge recipe is perfect for you. That’s because it is much easier to make than other recipes and comes out perfect each time.
I remember when I was a kid, I used to see my mum and aunt bake, who used to make all these amazing desserts. Our kitchen used to smell like heaven. Since childhood, I was automatically drawn towards baking and had guidance from these ladies.
Not everyone has a baker at home waiting to pass on the skills to their children. If you love baking but struggle to get good recipes, then worry not. I’m here to guide you every step of the way.
Beginners must always begin with easy and basic recipes. NEVER jump to make advanced desserts before you know your basics. One of the most essential recipes is that of an eggless vanilla cake. Without this, you may not be able to proceed with your baking journey.
This Recipe is super easy and simple to make. It requires only six ingredients, which are easily accessible. The sponge comes out be extremely soft like a cloud which is perfect for any layered cake.
Eggless Vanilla Cake Video Tutorial
Why You’ll Love This Recipe?
- Texture: Old beliefs that eggless baking is tricky and you may not get good sponges is not something you should worry about. With increased demand for eggless desserts, bakers have curated unique and perfect recipes. Hence, this recipe has the perfect soft and fluffy texture just how a vanilla sponge should be.
- Easy technique: The process to make the sponge is not complicated, making it a beginner-friendly recipe. Following the proper steps will help you get that perfectly baked sponge every time you make it.
- Minimal ingredients: The Recipe does not include ingredients like condensed milk or curd, which require you to rush to the market. All ingredients are basic and are easily available in the kitchen, and you need only six of them.
Important Ingredients Used In The Recipe
- All-Purpose flour: You must use all-purpose flour to make layered cakes. It has an appropriate gluten level, keeping the sponge less chewy and more spongy.
- Baking Powder: For that amazing height and softness in the sponge, baking powder is the rising agent we must use. Make sure the powder is well within its expiry time. If kept unused for a long duration, then always try to source a new box.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is basically milk with something acidic in it, which lightly curdles the milk. It helps in getting a soft and moist texture in the sponge. It also reacts with the rising agent to provide a good rise in the cake.
- Butter: Salted softened butter is used for the creaming method. If the butter is too hard or too soft, it won’t cream as we require.
- Sugar: Always use castor sugar in caking making or mentioned otherwise. Castor sugar has smaller granules which dissolve a faster than regular kitchen sugar and yet it has enough crystal edges to trap air in the sponge.
- Vanilla Essence: Always use a good quality vanilla essence, as the ones that are extra water-diluted do not provide a nice and authentic flavor.
How To Make Eggless Vanilla Sponge For Beginners
Preparation: The first step should always be to collect all ingredients as per the measurements given in the recipe card. Also. Preheat the oven to 180C (OTG mode: upper rod + lower rod + fan). Grease and line two 6-inch round cake tin with oil and butter paper.
Dry Ingredients: In a bowl, sieve all dry ingredients that are all-purpose flour and baking powder. Give this a mix.
Creaming: In a new bowl, start creaming butter and castor sugar until it’s light and fluffy.
Make the batter: Now add the dry ingredients mixture and buttermilk alternatively to the creamed butter along with vanilla essence, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Ensure to make a smooth and lump-free batter.
Bake: Transfer the batter equally to the two prepared tins and bake them at 180C for 30-35 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool and Use: Once the cake is baked, let it cool at room temperature. Only demould and slice/use the cake when it’s completely cool.
Chef’s Tips For The Recipe
How To Make Buttermilk
You can make an instant buttermilk by mixing room-temperature milk with some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. For the recipe, you can add 10-12 ml of apple cider vinegar in 240ml of milk.
Use Oven Thermometer
Always use oven thermometer to check inside temperature. It helps us know that the oven is maintaining the temperature that is set for the cake.
How To Store Eggless Vanilla Cake
You can store the cooled sponge by cling-wrapping it and keeping it in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for a month.
More Easy Recipes
Use these beginner-friendly cake recipes from the blog to upgrade your baking skills.Print
- 180 g All-purpose flour
- 12 g Baking powder
- 240 ml Butter milk
- 115 g Butter
- 200 g Castor sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (OTG mode: upper rod + lower rod + fan). Line a baking tray with butter paper or a silicon mat. Prepare two 6-inch round baking tin by greasing it with oil and placing butter paper at the bottom.
- In a bowl, sift the dry ingredients, which are all-purpose flour and baking powder
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy in texture.
- Now add the dry ingredients and buttermilk along with vanilla essence, alternatively starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Transfer it to the prepared tins and bake them at 180°C for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes