Turkey Burgers in an air fryer? Yes you heard that correctly!
These juicy and flavorful patties are the perfect healthier alternative to traditional beef burgers.
Get ready to savor every bite as we explore the easy steps to creating a scrumptious and guilt-free meal!
Most people will think of either chicken or beef patty when it comes to burgers.
But did you guys know that turkey burgers are a healthier option that packs a punch of flavor?
They are becoming more popular in today’s health-conscious society. They are low in calories, fat, and cholesterol yet high in protein, making them a healthier alternative for those people who are looking for a healthy lifestyle.
Air frying turkey burgers is quick and results in juicy patties that are perfect for your burgers. Whether you use homemade or a store-bought patty, an air fryer can cook them to perfection.
Although store-bought turkey burgers are pretty convenient, I prefer to make them at home, as I can adjust the flavor to my liking.
So, it’s really up to you guys if you want to use a store-bought one or a homemade one. But let me tell you, if you make this turkey burger at home, you will never buy a frozen one again!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
An air fryer is a versatile appliance that can cook a wide range of foods. And when it comes to making turkey burgers in an air fryer, it offers several advantages over different methods of cooking, such as frying or grilling.
- Healthy Cooking: Air frying is healthier than pan frying or deep frying. It requires little to no oil, which means low calories and less fat.
- Even Cooking: It cooks food evenly with no hot spots or burnt areas.
- Quick and Fast: They are a fast and convenient way of cooking turkey burgers. Also, they preheat quickly and require minimal preparation and cleaning.
How Does An Air Fryer Work?
An air fryer is a mini convection oven that sits on your countertop. An air fryer cooks with hot air rather than oil.
An Air fryer has a heating element that circulates hot air through a fan around your food.
It makes your food crispy from the outside, keeping the juiciness and moistness on the inside.
Important Ingredients Used In The Recipe
- Minced Turkey: The star ingredient in this recipe is minced turkey. You can either buy it from a store, or you can mince it at home by simply grinding it in a grinder. Use turkey meat with a fat content of around 93% to ensure the patties aren’t dried during cooking.
- Seasonings: Finely chopped onions, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, and chopped coriander leaves are enough to bring out the flavor of the turkey patty. But, if you like any other seasonings or herbs, you can go ahead and use them to make the patty.
- Oil: Although we don’t need oil to make food in an air fryer for this recipe, I have used a little bit of oil while making the patty so that it doesn’t stick to my hands. You can also use cooking spray if you have one. However, we can’t find a cooking spray that easily in the Indian market.
How To Make Turkey Burgers In An Air Fryer?
The Turkey Patties
Mix the ingredients: In a bowl, take minced turkey, add in finely chopped onions, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, and chopped coriander leaves. Mix with your hands. I just use my hands to make the patties because it is easier this way, and it comes together easily.
Shape the patties: Apply some oil to your hands and form round, flat turkey patties with the mixture. This recipe can make up to 4 – 5 patties. You can also double or triple the recipe according to your liking to make as many patties as you want.
Freeze: Place them in a tray and keep them in the freezer for 10 minutes. You can also make a bunch of these patties and freeze them for later use. This way, you can make turkey burgers in a flash.
Preheat: Preheat the air fryer to 200°C (400°F) for a few minutes.
Cooking in air fryer: Place two patties in the basket at one time. Refrain from overcrowding, as it may lead to unevenly cooked patties. Cook them for 12 – 15 minutes or until they are golden brown in color. Flip them halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking on both sides. Carefully remove them from the basket. And repeat the same with the rest of the patties.
For The Burgers
Prepare the bun: Take a burger bun, and spread mayonnaise on both sides.
Assembly: Now place the lettuce, then the patties, followed by a slice of cheese, tomato, onion, and jalapeno. Place lettuce again and cover it with the top part of the bun, placing the mayonnaise side at the bottom.
Serve: Serve it with your favorite side dishes like French fries or potato wedges.
Chefs Tip For The Recipe
Avoid Overcrowding the Basket.
Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket with the patties. Otherwise, you will get unevenly cooked patties in your burgers. And nobody likes that, right?
Quick Tip for Even Cooking.
Flip them halfway through cooking so that it is cooked on both sides. Make sure the patties are uniform in size and thickness so that they cook evenly.
Tip for using Cooked Patties
Let the patties rest for a few minutes after cooking to maintain their juices and avoid dry patties.
More Easy Recipes
If you like this air fryer recipe, then I’m sure you will love my other air frying recipe like
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to cook minced turkey in an air fryer?
Yes, it is safe to cook a minced turkey in an air fryer as long as it is fully cooked.
How long does it take to cook turkey patty in an air fryer?
The cooking time for turkey patties depends on the thickness and size of the patties, as well as the temperature of the air fryer.
Can I freeze the leftover turkey patties?
You definitely freeze the patties for later use. Place the cooked and cooled patties in an airtight container or freezer bag and store them for up to 3 months. To reheat, place it in a preheated air fryer and cook until it is properly cooked.
Can I cook frozen turkey patties in an air fryer?
Yes, you can cook frozen turkey patties in an air fryer. You don’t even need to thaw them before cooking them in an air fryer. And in my opinion, air frying is the best way to reheat a frozen turkey patty.
Can I use more seasonings to make turkey burgers?
Absolutely! You can add any seasoning of your choice to make the turkey burgers. You can use Italian herbs, cumin powder, paprika powder, and even Panko or bread crumbs to make them more flavorful and tasty.Print
- 250 g Minced turkey
- 2 cloves Minced garlic
- 1 medium-sized onion Finely chopped onions
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Ground black pepper
- 5 g Chopped coriander
- Oil as required
- Onion slices
- Tomato slices
- Burger buns
- Cheese slice
For Turkey Patties
- Mix minced turkey, finely chopped onion, minced garlic, salt, ground black pepper, and chopped coriander in a medium bowl.
- Divide the mixture into 4-5 parts.
- Now rub some oil onto your palms and form patties by gently flattening them.
- Preheat the air fryer to 200°C (200°F) for a few minutes.
- Place 2 or 3 patties in the air fryer basket and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Flip the patties halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking on both sides.
- Spread mayonnaise on a bottom part of a burger bun.
- Place lettuce followed by a turkey patty, cheese slice, tomato slice, onion slice, and jalapeno.
- Now cover it with lettuce again.
- Place the top part of the burger bun.
- Serve hot with any side dish of your choice.
- Prep Time: 40 to 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes