Pillowy-soft, moist and surprisingly refreshing lemon cake is here! I’m talking about one of the best lemon cakes I have ever had!! Soft cake dressed with sweet and tangy lemon glaze-it’s the best thing you’ll eat this summer!
Detailed description Do you love the lemon cake from Starbucks? I think it’s one of their finest bakery items from the shelf. When I had it, I just couldn’t stop myself from eating it. It’s so delicious, and it definitely ignited me to replicate it. Normally, I won’t do copycat recipes and prefer giving my own twist, but I had to do this one for you guys. Once you try it, I guarantee there is no turning back.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe?
- Texture: The cake is amazingly soft, just like a pillow. The outer layer is perfectly golden brown, while the inside crumbs are tender. The crumbs come out so fine; feels heavenly to slice them.
- Flavour: Classic lemon cake is almost everyone’s favourite. The freshness you get from lemon zest is beautiful. Also, the glaze is made using just icing sugar mixed with lemon juice; you can imagine the combination – it’s sweet and tangy at the same time.
- Starbucks copycat: Now that you have the recipe with you, you won’t have to burn a hole in your pocket each time you want to eat your favourite lemon loaf. This recipe is the best homemade version of the Starbucks cake that you can bake anytime you want.
Important Ingredients Used In The Recipe
- Butter: To provide that authentic buttery flavour, melted butter is used in the recipe. The addition of butter helps elevate the flavour of the cake.
- Fresh cream: The cream in the cake helps maintain moisture and keeps it tender for long.
- Oil: the cake has both butter and oil as the fat. While butter provides added flavour, the oil helps to keep the cake soft and moist as it is in a liquid state.
- Lemon zest: The best lemon flavour comes from lemon zest, not lemon juice. The zest contains all the flavour and essential oil.
- Lemon juice: The cake is glazed with a lemon glaze which is actually the surprise Element. It’s simple and made with just two ingredients – icing sugar and lemon juice, but when eaten with cake, it provides the right tangy punch.
How To Make Lemon Cake
- Preparation: Preheat the oven to 180C (OTG mode: upper rod + lower rod + fan). Grease and line a bread loaf tin with oil and butter paper.
- Lemon zest and sugar: To start with the cake batter, rub the lemon zest and sugar using your fingertips.
- Eggs: To this, add eggs and combine. So now you have eggs, sugar and lemon zest as a mixture.
- Wet Ingredients: Add oil, melted butter, and fresh cream to the above mixture. Combine all the ingredients well.
- Dry Ingredients: Once the liquid ingredients are mixed, start folding in the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a smooth batter, ensuring no lumps are left.
- Colour: AT this stage, you can add a drop of yellow gel colour and give the batter a final mix. Adding a hint of color truly brings out a vibrant look of the cake.
- Bake: Transfer the batter to the prepared tin and bake at 180(OTG mode: lower rod only) for 25-30 minutes.
- Glaze: While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze by mixing sifted icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. The icing will look white in colour. It should be thick yet runny.
- Assembly: After the cake is baked and cooled, pour the lemon glaze all over the top. Sprinkle some lemon zest on top for garnish.
Chef’s Tips For The Recipe
Do not over mix
The batter needs just the right amount of mixing where all the dry ingredients have been mixed and no flour pockets are left. There is no need to continue mixing after that, and also, do not mix too hard or vigorously. All these will toughen/harden the cake.
Do not over bake
Keep a close eye on the baking. You do not want the cake to be overbaked as that will end up making the cake dry and hard.
How To Store Lemon Cake
Both glazed, and non-glazed lemon cake can be stored in an airtight box for 4-5 days at room temperature.
More Easy Recipes
Don’t miss out on our other amazing recipes:Print
For Lemon Loaf:
- 150g Castor Sugar
- 1+ ½ tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 nos. Eggs
- 42g Melted Butter
- 45g Refined Oil
- 60ml Buttermilk (½ tsp vinegar)
- 60g Fresh Cream
- 170g All-Purpose Flour
- ½ + ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp + 1 pinch Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Pinch of Salt
For Lemon Glaze:
- 1 Cup Sifted Icing Sugar
- 30ml Lemon Juice
Method for Lemon Cake:
- Prepare a loaf tin by brushing some oil and placing butter paper at the bottom. Preheat the oven to 180C (OTG mode: upper rod + lower rod + fan).
- Rub the lemon zest and sugar with your fingertips in a bowl. This helps coat the sugar with zest’s essential oil. This ultimately spreads out the lemon flavour throughout the cake.
- Now add in the eggs and mix.
- Add the liquid ingredients that are oil, melted butter, buttermilk and fresh cream and mix until all the ingredients are combined properly. Add vanilla essence as well.
- Fold the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Give everything a good mix.
- Lastly, add 1 drop of yellow edible food gel colour and give it a final mix.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared tin and bake at 180C(OTG mode: lower rod only) for 25-30 minutes.
Method for Glaze:
- Mix icing sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze with pourable consistency.
- Once the loaf is out of the freezer, let it cool to room temperature.
- Pour the lemon glaze all over the lemon loaf.
- Sprinkle some lemon zest on top for garnish.