Sour cream frosting! Sounds interesting right?
Believe me when I say it is. Indulge your taste buds with the delectable delight of my sour cream frosting.
This lusciously creamy and tangy topping adds a refreshing twist to your favorite cakes, cupcakes, and desserts.
This frosting is a sweet and tangy filling for all your sweet desserts! And it comes together in minutes with just a few simple ingredients.
There are numerous frostings, each offering a unique taste and texture. But among these options lies the versatile sour cream frosting, a velvety, smooth, and tangy frosting that adds a fine twist to our traditional frostings.
The sourness of the frosting complements the sweetness of any dessert, creating a balanced and refreshing taste. It adds a zing, cuts through the richness, and adds a pleasant twist to your favorite desserts.
This frosting is spreadable enough to frost a carrot cake, cinnamon rolls, or a chocolate cupcake. And if you like cream cheese frosting, then this recipe of sour cream frosting will likely be a delightful alternative.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe?
- Flavor: This frosting offers a distinct flavor that sets it apart from the rest. Along with the tanginess, sour cream frosting contains sweetness that is less sweet than traditional frostings. The sweetness complements the tanginess, which creates a harmonious balance of flavors.
- Texture: Aside from the flavor, the sour cream frosting has a creamy, velvety, smooth texture that melts in your mouth. The richness of the butter and sour cream combination creates a luxurious and velvety texture on your palate.
- Moisture retention: Adding sour cream to the frosting helps retain moisture in the cake layers. It is beneficial for cakes that tend to dry out quickly. The sour cream contributes to the overall moistness and softness of the cake, ensuring a delicious and tender texture.
- Easy-to-Make: This frosting is easy and quick to make with minimal ingredients. With just a few steps you can whip up this delectable frosting with only a few simple steps.
- Lighter alternative: Compared to heavier frostings like white chocolate buttercream or cream cheese frosting, sour cream frosting offers a lighter option without compromising the taste. It is excellent for those who prefer a less sweet or not-too-heavy frosting on their cakes or other desserts.
Important Ingredients Used In The Recipe
- Sour Cream: this is the star ingredient in making this frosting. It provides a distinct tangy flavor and creamy texture, defining the sour cream frosting. Use full-fat sour cream instead of low-fat, as low-fat sour cream tends to have more water, turning your frosting into runny frosting.
- Butter: I am using unsalted butter here. It adds a rich flavor with a smooth texture to the frosting. Make sure that you use soft room temperature unsalted butter so that it blends with other ingredients easily.
- Icing sugar: Also known as powdered sugar or confectioners’ sugar, it is an essential ingredient that adds sweetness and desired consistency to make frosting. It dissolves easily, giving the frosting its smooth texture.
How To Make Sour Cream Frosting
Preparations: Collect ingredients accurately before starting the recipe. Make sure that you use room-temperature butter to make the frosting.
Beat butter and add sour cream: In a big bowl, beat unsalted butter with an electric hand beater until you get a nice fluffy textured butter. Then add the sour cream and beat until the sour cream is mixed properly
Adding icing sugar: Add icing sugar and salt to the creamed butter mixture and beat again. Ensure you sieve the icing sugar as it tends to have lumps.
Add vanilla essence: Lastly, add vanilla essence to give it a flowery vanilla scent and beat it again until all the ingredients are mixed.
Our Sour Cream Frosting is now ready to be used!
Chef’s Tips For The Recipe
Quick Tip For A Smooth & Rich Frosting.
Use full-fat sour cream to make the frosting which will give you a much richer and creamier frosting.
Use soft butter to make the frosting which will allow sour cream to blend easily and helps in achieving a smoother consistency.
Tip For Preventing Runny Frosting.
Beat at low speed while combining the ingredients. It prevents over-mixing, which can lead to a runny frosting.
How To Store Sour Cream Frosting
In the fridge, you can store sour cream frosting for 3 – 4 days. Make sure that you keep it in an air-tight container.
You can store it in the freezer for about two weeks in an air-tight container.
More Easy Recipes
If you like this frosting recipe, then make sure to check out our other frosting and dessert recipes such as:
Frequently Asked Questions
It might be due to the sour cream’s consistency or the amount of icing sugar added to the frosting. You can add more icing sugar gradually until it thickens or keep it in the fridge until it firms up.
Yes, you can use any edible color to the frosting. Remember that using liquid color may affect the consistency of the frosting. So, it is recommended to use gel or powder color only.
Yes, you can pipe with any of your favorite nozzles using this recipe of sour cream frosting.
Although sour cream is typically used to make sour cream frosting, you can substitute it with Greek yogurt or plain yogurt. Keep in mind that the taste and texture of the frosting will completely change.
It is typically recommended to use full-fat sour cream for the best texture and flavor in the sour cream frosting. Low-fat or non-fat sour cream may result in thinner or less creamy frosting.
- 200 g Unsalted butter
- 70 g Sour cream
- 100 g Icing sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla essence
- A pinch of Salt
- Collect ingredients accurately before starting the recipe. Make sure that you use room-temperature butter to make the frosting.
- In a big bowl, beat unsalted butter with an electric hand beater until you get a nice fluffy textured butter.
- Then add the sour cream and beat until the sour cream is mixed properly.
- Add icing sugar and salt to the creamed butter and beat again. Ensure you sieve the icing sugar as it tends to have lumps.
- Lastly, add vanilla essence to give it a flowery vanilla scent and beat it again until all the ingredients are mixed.
Our Sour Cream Frosting is now ready to be used!
- Prep Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes