It’s full of buttery flavor, loaded with colorful confetti sprinkles, and a whole lot of FUN to make. I’m talking about super delicious and cute Funfetti Frosting!
Another addition to my list of frostings is this fun and delicious Funfetti Frosting. It has the base flavor of pure buttercream with some rainbow confetti sprinkles in it.
Time and again, we struggle to find a good and delicious frosting. And store-bought frostings are a big ‘no-no.’ They are loaded with sugar and have quite an artificial taste as they add shortening to them. Homemade frostings are the best. That is why I keep on bringing various frosting recipes for you all. They are a lot less sweet, and you can always adjust consistency as per your needs.
Buttercream frosting can sometimes be tricky to make. Some recipes ask for too much sugar, or sometimes it has a gritty texture as the sugar doesn’t dissolve entirely. If you follow my recipes, you will find that I mix milk and icing sugar first in my buttercream recipes and then add this mixture to the beaten butter. This reduces the chances of grittiness to a minimum and also gives a nice texture and richness to the buttercream.
Adult or kid, everyone’s eyes pop when they see colorful confetti and sugar sprinkles. This frosting goes well with anything vanilla, whether a cake, cupcake, jar cake dessert, etc.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe?
- It’s Colorful: adding sprinkles to vanilla frosting is a pure genius way to bring a smile to anyone’s face. Yes, you may not smile that big when you see a basic white vanilla cake, but you will definitely have your smile reach your eyes when there’s a pop of color in it.
- Fun To Make: It’s so much fun to just throw in a fistful of confetti sprinkles. You can add in the frosting, or you can Sprinkle them as garnish too. And you can have anyone (especially kids) do that for you.
- Crowd-pleaser: No one can ever say no to this frosting. Why, you ask? Well, who doesn’t like vanilla with sugary colorful sprinkles in it?? You will never have to worry about whether your guests will love it or not!
Important Ingredients Used In The Recipe
- Unsalted Butter: Use room temperature soft unsalted butter. Frostings must always be made with unsalted butter as you really don’t want any excess saltiness in your icing, which is what happens when you use salted butter.
- Icing Sugar: Always use store-bought icing sugar. Sift the sugar before using it for frosting. This helps avoid clumps present in the sugar.
- Milk: I prefer using full-fat milk for my recipes. Milk helps bring smoothness and richness to the frosting.
- Salt: Just a pinch of salt can enhance the entire taste of any product. Also, with unsalted butter in place, you get the leverage to add salt as per your liking.
- Rainbow Sprinkles: The star ingredient is rainbow sprinkles. Use a good brand for sprinkles. Ensure they are not sticky and not too old.
How To Make Funfetti Frosting
Preparation: Collect all ingredients and tools needed to make the frosting.
Mix Milk And Sugar: mix milk and sifted icing sugar in a bowl. Use a spatula or a whisk to mix the two. Ensure that the sugar has dissolved.
Beat Butter: Now, beat softened unsalted butter using an electric hand beater. The speed must be kept at medium. Continue beating until you get a fluffy and pale texture.
Add Milk-Sugar Mixture: Start adding the milk and icing sugar mixture gradually into the beaten butter. Only add some at a time, as then it will splutter everywhere when mixed. Add and combine in batches.
Add Salt: Once the milk mixture is incorporated, add pinch of salt and mix.
Add Rainbow Sprinkles: Finally, throw the rainbow sprinkles into the frosting and fold using a spatula.
Chef’s Tips For The Recipe
Add Milk in Batches
When the milk-sugar mixture is added to the butter, it does not mix immediately, as fat and liquid do not mix well. When you add the mixture a little at a time and beat it continuously, it will come together, and the frosting won’t look curdled anymore.
Don’t Mix Sprinkles Using a Beater
Do not make the mistake of mixing sprinkles with an electric hand beater. The sprinkles will break into very small pieces and may even bleed color. Only use a spatula to fold them into the frosting.
How To Store Funfetti Frosting
I prefer using freshly made frosting for the best-tasting experience. You can always store any leftovers or make them ahead of time. In that case, store it in an airtight container or a bowl tightly covered with cling wrap in the refrigerator for up to a week.
In the freezer, it can stay good for a month.
More Easy Recipes
Do check my other finger-licking Frosting recipes:
Frequently Asked Questions
Although, rainbow sprinkled will pop out the best when added to the plain frosting. However, you can still add some light colors to the frosting if you want.
It pairs best with confetti cake (check the recipe here). You can also use it with vanilla cupcakes or cake.
Funfetti frosting would taste best with flavors like vanilla, strawberry, lemon, coconut, any berry, or even chocolate.
- 300g Unsalted Butter
- 200g icing Sugar
- 60ml Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 Cup Rainbow Sprinkles
- Add milk and icing in a bowl, mix them together until the sugar dissolves. Keep it aside.
- Beat the softened unsalted butter in a large mixing bowl until it’s light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and milk mixture to the beaten butter and continue mixing. Do not add all the mixture at once.
- Once the milk mixture is incorporated, add pinch of salt and mix.
- Lastly, add the rainbow sprinkles and fold them in the buttercream using a spatula once everything is incorporated.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes