After deliberate trials of different recipes, I have found the perfect dairy-free chocolate chip cookie recipe for you all. It has the right brown and castor sugar mix to make it soft and a bit chewy. And you get the delicious dark chocolate chunks in every bite.
Baking was invented using four major ingredients – flour, butter, eggs, and sugar. Removing either of the ingredients makes it challenging for any baker to prepare a recipe. Vegan baking is all about making products egg-free and dairy-free, which means no eggs, butter, yoghurt, or milk! The good thing is we have numerous dairy–free products available now. For this recipe also, I have used dairy-free ingredients like vegan butter, vegan milk and vegan dark chocolate.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe?
- Curated carefully for vegans: the recipe is specifically designed for people who follow a vegan diet. It isn’t easy to find a good baking recipe, so I have been careful to give out the recipe that is not just good but the best!
- Tastes like Dairy cookies: although made using dairy-free products, they taste similar to your regular dairy cookies. That’s a huge plus about this recipe.
- The Right Balance of Ingredients: numerous vegan cookie recipes are available, but not all work out well. Since I have tried and tested the recipe ratios a few times, I have ensured that the recipe is perfect every time you bake.
Important ingredients Used in Dairy-free Cookies
- Vegan butter: vegan butter can be replaced with regular dairy butter in the same ratio as both contain 80% fat. We made our own vegan butter, but you can easily find vegan butter online or in big departmental stores.
- Dairy-free dark chocolate: the chocolates we use, like Van Houten, Callebaut or Cadbury, are all made using dairy products. So be mindful when selecting chocolate for vegan recipes. I have used the brand Ditch the Guilt.
- Soy Milk: various brands are available for soy milk; you may use any. Soy milk plays the same role dairy milk does in a cookie which is to bind the dough and provides moisture along with richness. For your reference, I have used the life health food brand.
How To Make Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- Creaming: start with creaming vegan butter with castor and brown sugar. Beat until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add Liquids: Add vanilla bean paste and soy milk to the creamed butter.
- Collect dry ingredients: in a bowl, collect your dry ingredients, i.e. flour, baking powder and salt.
- Making the dough: add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix to form a dough.
- Add Chopped chocolate: once the dough is ready, add your vegan chocolate and give it a final mix.
- Shaping: make balls weighing 60g each from the dough and place them on a lined baking tray.
- Freezing: Put the balls in the fridge to freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- Bake: Finally, bake in a preheated oven at 180c (OTG mode: lower rod + upper rod + fan) for 12-15 minutes.
Chef’s Tips For The Recipe
Use Room Temperature Ingredients
Ensure that your ingredients are at room temperature. Too warm or too cold ingredients hinder the texture of the final product.
Vanilla Bean Paste Substitute
Vanilla bean paste is an expensive ingredient. It is not necessary to use paste; instead, you may use your regular vanilla essence. Quantity will be more than paste as the essence is diluted and paste is concentrated.
Freezing The Dough
It’s important to freeze the shaped cookie dough balls before baking to prevent the extra spreading of cookies while baking.
How To Store Dairy-free Cookies?
Store the cookies in an airtight box at room temperature. They will last 4-5 days.
You can store leftover cookie dough as well. Cling wrap it, put it in an airtight box and freeze it for up to 2 months.
More easy recipes
If you like this recipe, try our other vegan recipe Vegan Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are vegan cookies healthier than dairy cookies?
What can I use instead of butter in the vegan product?
Why are my vegan cookies cakey?
Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Dairy-free cookies- your search for perfect vegan chocolate chip cookies ends here. Get your hands on our delicious, easy-to-make chocolate chip cookies, which are 100% dairy-free.
- Total Time: 37 to 45 minutes
- Yield: 9 portions 1x
- 140g All-purpose flour
- 75g Vegan Butter
- ½ tsp + pinch Baking powder
- 40g Brown sugar
- 45 g Castor sugar
- ¼ tsp Vanilla bean paste
- 30 ml Soy milk
- 30 g Chopped vegan dark chocolate
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 180c (OTG mode: lower rod + upper rod + fan). Line a baking tray with butter paper or a silicon mat.
- In a bowl, soften the butter and add castor and brown sugar. Beat it with a hand beater until it’s pale and fluffy.
- Now, mix soy milk and vanilla bean paste into the butter-sugar mixture.
- Next, add sifted dry ingredients, ie. All-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix them to form a dough.
- Lastly, add dark vegan chocolate and give it a final mix.
- Now, make balls of dough weighing 60g each.
- Place the balls on a lined baking tray and put them in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, bake them at 180c (OTG mode: lower rod + upper rod + fan) for 12-15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Freezing Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 to 15 minutes