Is there anything better than a classic chocolate chip cookie? One might say no, but not after eating these gigantic monster cookies! These blue-coloured cookies hide inside them a surprise – another cookie, making them the most insane cookies of all!
Cookie inside a cookie-that’s what a monster cookie is all about. The concept is inspired by the Sesame Street Blue Monster, who eats a chocolate chip cookie. The outer layer of the cookie is blue-coloured (just like that sesame street character), and inside is your favourite cookie, i.e., chocolate chip cookie. The giant blue-coloured cookie went viral on TikTok, and everyone is going ga-ga over it.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe?
What’s not to love about these cookie monster cookies?! DUH, everything about it will make you want to grab more(if there’s enough space in your tummy after eating one).
- Surprise element: Those who know about this cookie would also know what is inside the giant blue cookie. But you can make your version of it. That’s the beauty of the cookie monster cookie. You do not necessarily need chocolate chip cookies inside; you can put any, I mean any, cookie that you like. In fact, put different cookies in every batch giving a surprise element for anyone who eats as they won’t know what’s inside!!
- Double the cookie fun: I have decided to take this excitement to another level. In this recipe, I’m not just using one classic chocolate chip cookie, but also everyone’s favourite Oreo cookie as well. Yes, I’m adding two cookies in one cookie monster cookie!
- Fun to make: Listening to what a cookie monster cookie is makes me excited, so baking it for my family, friends, and loved ones is all the more fun! I’m confident you will enjoy every bit of making these cookies.
Important Ingredients Used In The Recipe
- Chocolate chip cookie: the first cookie that goes inside the cookie monster is a chocolate chip cookie. It’s a classic one, and nothing can go wrong with this. It adds the perfect crunch and taste of chocolate in each bite.
- Oreo Cookie: the next special cookie used in the recipe is the Oreo Cookie. The chocolate cookies and vanilla cream are perfect to match chocolate chip cookies!
- Chocolate chunks: the blue cookie dough consists of chocolate chunks inside as well as on the top. So, the saying ‘there’s nothing g like too much chocolate’ fits appropriately here.
- Blue gel colour: the trendy blue colour of the cookie monster is achieved using good quality blue gel colour. You would need a good amount of it (maybe more than recommended in the recipe) as you’d want them to have that bright blue colour and not just a hue.
How To Make Cookie Monster Cookies
The detailed recipe with specific ingredient quantities is in the recipe box below. Here, I would like to explain what you must do to make the dramatic blue cookie monster cookies.
- Preparation: Check the ingredient list and collect them before starting with the recipe. Also, get your oven to preheat at 180C (OTG mode: upper rod + lower rod + fan). Line a baking tray with butter paper or a silicone mat.
- Creaming: Make the cookie monster dough by creaming butter and sugars in a bowl. Cream until it’s light and pale.
- Dry ingredients: Directly sieve the dry ingredients, i.e., flour, baking powder, and salt, into the creamed butter. Mix this well.
- Chocolate: Add the Chopped chocolate to the butter-flour mixture.
- Wet ingredients: First, add blue gel colour to the milk and mix it. Add the coloured milk to the above mixture and form a dough.
- Shaping: Take 150g of dough and flatten it a little. Place the chocolate chip cookie and then the oreo cookie over it. Cover and seal the cookies inside.
- Garnish: place the cookies on a lined baking tray. Sprinkle some more Chopped chocolate on top.
- Freeze: Put the tray into the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Bake: It’s time we bake these insane cookie monster cookies in preheated oven at 180C (OTG mode: upper rod + lower rod + fan) for 15-20 minutes.
Chef’s Tips For The Recipe
Experiment with cookies
Try and experiment with flavour using different cookies inside. This way you will get numerous options to make cookie monster cookies.
Do not over bake
Ensure that you are baking the cookies within the recommended time. They are meant to be soft, gooey and crunchy(from the cookies inside). Overbaking will ruin not only the colour of the cookie but also the texture required.
Just be sure to cover and seal the inside cookies properly when shaping the cookie monster.
How To Store Cookie Monster Cookies
Store these giant cookies in an airtight box. Place the box in a cool, dry place for a week.
If you have cookie dough left with you, cling-wrap it and place it in the freezer for later use. Store it for up to two months.
More Easy Recipes
I have many cookie recipes available for you all to try. Check out Cornflakes cookies, Matcha White Chocolate Chip Cookies and Soft Peanut Butter Cookies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! If you go by the trend that went viral on Tiktok, cookie monster cookies were filled with loads of chocolate chips of all kinds-dark, milk and white. So, you can make a cookie monster without cookies inside.
Though, the blue colour makes it funky and goes with the trend. However, you can definitely skip adding the colour as it won’t affect the overall taste or texture of the cookies.
They are called monster cookies for a reason, and one is their gigantic size. But if you’d like to reduce its size, you can go ahead and do so. Use smaller cookies or chopped cookie chunks as filling instead of whole giant cookies. Use dough less than 150g per cookie. These steps will help reduce its size.
Cookie Monster Cookie Recipe
Cookie monster cookies: No wonder they went viral. They are soft yet crunchy. Full of surprises and super fun to make.
- Total Time: 45 to 55 minutes
- Yield: 5 portions 1x
For Cookie Dough:
- 310g All-purpose Flour
- 145g Salted Butter
- 90g Brown sugar
- 96g Castor sugar
- 1 + 1/8 tsp Baking powder
- 46ml Milk
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 90g Chopped dark chocolate
- 1 tsp Blue gel colour (more if needed)
- Store-bought chocolate chip cookie
- Oreo vanilla cookie
One each per cookie monster
- Preheat your oven to 180C (OTG mode: upper rod + lower rod + fan). Line a baking tray with butter paper or a silicon mat.
- Cream the butter and both sugars in a bowl. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Sieve dry ingredients i.e., flour, baking powder, and salt, directly into the creamed mixture. Give it a mix.
- Now, add chopped chocolate to it and combine.
- Add blue colour to the milk and add this to the above mixture to form a good dough. You may need to add more colour as per the need.
- For shaping, take 150 g of dough and place chocolate chip cookie and Oreo cookie into the dough.
- Cover and seal the cookies well with the dough. Place the cookies on a lined baking tray and garnish them with some chopped chocolate.
- Put the tray in the freezer for 15 -20 minutes.
- Now, bake the cookies at 180C (OTG mode: upper rod + lower rod + fan) for 15-20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Freezing Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes