With just a handful of ingredients, you can make the most loved dessert of all time! It’s the molten choco lava cake. Yes! With my easy-to-make-at-home recipe, you can bake this delicacy in just a few minutes!
The decadent chocolate oozing out from the centre is why it’s called a lava cake. No wonder it’s loved by everyone. When I had my first bite of this dessert, it amazed me how one gets such a lovely gooey center while the outside layer is all baked! The trick is in the ingredients and the baking!
The outer layer of the cake is well cooked, not hard, but strong enough to hold the liquid center inside. Taking the dessert to the next level, I added a scoop of vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries as garnish. This helps in presenting the dessert well. The center part is, of course, chocolatey and gooey.
Choco Lava Cake Video Tutorial
Why you’ll love this recipe?
It’s a No-Fuss Recipe: Generally, lava cakes have lengthy recipes which might be hard to follow. This recipe is easy to make, and everyone can keep up with it.
Most Decadent – I can vouch that this recipe is the most delicious version of choco lava cake. The gooey centre is to die for.
It can be prepped a day before– since the batter of choco lava cake needs refrigeration overnight, you can always make it a day ahead and quickly bake it the next day when needed.
Key ingredients required to make Choco-Lava Cake:
The recipe card gives a complete list of ingredients with their quantities and instructions.
The recipe calls for just six ingredients, and they can create magic!
Flour-the quantity of flour is not too much as we don’t want it to be a dry cake. It’s enough to create a structure around the lava centre.
The natural cocoa powder-the cake gets its chocolate cake taste from natural cocoa powder.
Butter– the butter is melted with chocolate here. This is called the melting method of making the batter. It makes for the best fudgy texture.
Sugar: when beaten with eggs, Sugar creates good aeration for the batter. That’s why lava cakes are light and soft.
Eggs provide the right amount of fat, aeration and moisture to the cake.
The dark chocolate-star ingredient is rich dark chocolate. I use Van Houten 46.5% dark chocolate and recommend using couverture chocolate only to get the best results.
Method to make choco-lava cake:
Get Everything Prepped: Get all your ingredients measured and ready.
Make the batter: Simply follow the instructions in the recipe card to make the batter.
Refrigerate batter: Once the batter is ready, prepare the tins/moulds and transfer the batter into the moulds. Then refrigerate it for 8 hours or more.
Bake and enjoy: Once refrigerated, bake the choco-lava cakes in a preheated convection oven at 190C for 8-10 minutes. De-mould and garnish with ice cream, fresh strawberries and icing sugar.
- Baking for the right duration is important. If you bake for more than recommended time frame, the inside of the cake will also start to bake, and there won’t be any lava left.
- Prefer using couverture chocolate only.
- Refrigerating the batter is important. This step helps the outer layer to cook in time while the centre remains gooey.
- You can use ramekins or aluminium cups if you don’t have rings.
Check out our other recipes that are quick and easy to make:
- Easy-to-make coffee cookie (link)
- Best ever oreo waffles (link)
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Choco Lava Cake served hot or cold?
Is Lava Cake raw from the inside?
Can we make an eggless Choco lava cake?
Can I use single muffin tin or bake and serve mould?
Choco Lava Cake RecipePrint
Delicious Choco-lava Cake Recipe
Café like choco-lava cake at home-don’t miss to try this amazing recipe. with chocolatey gooey center, you are bound to fall in love with it!
- Total Time: 23-25 minutes
- Yield: 2 portions 1x
For Choco lava cake:
- 35 g Flour
- 8 g Natural cocoa powder
- 75 g Butter
- 128 g Egg
- 80 g Sugar
- 60 g Dark chocolate
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
- Fresh strawberries
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Take a bowl and melt chocolate & butter together in a microwave.
- Now, in a different bowl whisk eggs and sugar.
- Add sifted flour and cocoa powder into this mixture. Mix well.
- Lastly, add chocolate and butter mixture. Give this a good mix to make a smooth batter .
- Take two 4 inch ring and double cling wrap it. Grease the inside edge of the rings with butter.
- Now, pour the batter into the moulds and keep it in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Next day, bake it in a preheated convection oven at 190C for 8 – 10 minutes (fan speed 1) or in a preheated OTG at 200C for 12-15 minutes (otg mode: upper rod + lower rod + fan).
- De-mould the cake and garnish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, some fresh strawberries and icing sugar.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Freezing Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 8-10 minutes