Make this unique chocolate and blueberry cake for the special ones in your life. It’s the best combination of chocolate and Blueberry packed in one dessert.
This cake is going to become your new favorite. Moist Chocolate sponge layered with decadent dark chocolate ganache and tangy homemade Blueberry jam. For the assembly of this cake, we use three chocolate sponge layers frosted with Belgian chocolate ganache and fresh Blueberry jam filling. The top is decorated with edible flowers and various fresh berries.
Blueberry Chocolate Cake Video Tutorial
Why you’ll love this recipe?
Detailed recipe: if you love making layered cakes, then this recipe will help you learn to assemble layered cakes perfectly.
Unique flavors: Not many know that Blueberry goes well with dark chocolate. The combination is unique and delectable.
Easy to decorate: the cake has a simple and elegant design using fresh berries and some edible flowers. Nothing can go wrong with such garnishes.
A complete list of ingredients with their quantities and instructions is given below in the recipe card.
Key ingredients used in the recipe:
Natural cocoa powder-the sponge is chocolate flavored. Hence the best quality natural cocoa powder is used.
Coffee powder: Some coffee powder is used to enhance the chocolate flavor in the sponge.
Hot water – the chocolate flavor in cocoa powder comes out well when mixed with hot water.
Dark chocolate: Belgian or couverture dark chocolate makes the cake rich and delicious.
Fresh blueberries – since we are making our Blueberry jam, we require fresh blueberries for the best and most authentic flavor.
How to make this chocolate blueberry cake?
Make the sponge: Prepare the cake batter by mixing the dry ingredients with wet ones. Once a smooth batter is prepared, transfer it to greased tins and bake in a preheated otg at 180C for 30-35 minutes.
Prepare the ganache: Next, make the dark chocolate ganache by mixing melted chocolate and warm cream.
Get the jam ready: With just a few steps, make your blueberry jam for the filling. Simply cook the blueberries in sugar for a few minutes, and your jam is ready. You can even use it for any other dessert.
Assemble: Assemble this beautiful cake once all your elements are prepped and complete. The assembly is simple and easy to follow.
- Mix the cake batter well, making sure no flour pockets are left.
- Prefer using Belgian/couverture chocolate for best results. However, if needed, you may use dark compound chocolate as well.
- You can store Blueberry jam in a glass jar in the refrigerator for future use.
- To check the jam’s consistency, use a spoon and cover the back of the spoon with the jam. If the jam sticks to the spoons, then it’s done.
- Use fresh blueberries only for the jam.
How do you store assembled chocolate and blueberry cake?
The cake should be kept in the refrigerator. (if possible, put pieces in an airtight box). It will last for 3-4 days.Print
- 200 g Flour
- 200 g Castor sugar
- 120 g Oil
- 28 g Natural cocoa powder
- 5 g Baking soda
- 4 g Coffee powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 240 ml Water (boiling)
- 13 ml Apple cider vinegar
For Chocolate ganache
- 400 g Dark couverture
- 200 g Cream
For soaking syrup
- 70 ml Water
- 1 tbsp Vanilla essence
- Red currant
- Edible flowers
For Blueberry jam
- Blueberries – 180 g
- Sugar – 80 g
- Cream of tartar – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
Method for sponge
- Preheat the oven to 180C (otg mode: upper rod, +lower rod + fan). Grease and line three 6-inch round tins with oil and butter paper.
- Now sieve all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix all wet ingredients hot water, oil, and vinegar.
- Now carefully mix wet and dry ingredients to form a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tins equally and bake it at 180C for 30-35 min minutes (otg mode: lower rod only)
Method for blueberry jam
- Take a pan and cook blueberries and sugar together on medium flame.
- Smash blueberries with the help of the spatula.
- When the mixture gets thicker, add salt and cream of tartar into this.
- Cook it for a few minutes and check the consistency with the help of a spoon.
Method for ganache
- Melt chocolate in the microwave and warm the cream.
- Mix the two until a smooth ganache is formed.
Method for soaking syrup
- In a bowl, mix water and vanilla essence.
- Demould the sponges and cut the dome if required.
- Place a cake board on the turn table and place some ganache in the center. Now, put the first layer of the sponge and soak it with soaking syrup using a pastry brush.
- Now pipe some ganache on the sponge and spread evenly. Pipe a layer of ganache on the edge of the cake(like a border) to fill the blueberry jam inside. Finally, add a layer of Blueberry jam.
- Place the second sponge layer and repeat the same process as above.
- Crumb-coat the cake with ganache and let it rest in the fridge for 20 -25 minutes.
- Now, frost the cake with a final layer of ganache and give a spiral look on the top. Take some ganache on a bent palette knife for the sides and give a stroke design.
- Lastly, decorate it with fresh blueberries, strawberries, red currants, and edible flowers.