As a kid, whenever I saw a rainbow in the sky I would just sit back and watch it. Those seven vibrant colors seemed so fascinating that anyone could have fallen in love with them. And ever since I have started learning how to bake, my only wish was to learn all the basics quickly so that I could learn how to bring those colors together down from the sky and turn them into a delicious cake.
If you’re also one of those who shares the same kind of feeling and wants to learn this art of making a rainbow layer cake. Just go through this amazing recipe and enjoy. Let’s jump in.
Ingredients you’ll need
- 2 ½ cups white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups butter, just softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Food colorings: Red, blue, yellow, green
How to make the Rainbow Cake
- Start with preheating your oven at 325ᵒ F. Then grease and flour six 9-inch baking pans generously. In case you have only 3 or 2 pans then you need to bake in two or three rounds respectively.
- Take a large bowl out and add sugar and butter to cream them together.
- Then add eggs to it until fully incorporated. Now, mix in vanilla extract, heavy cream, and buttermilk to it. Add half of the flour, salt, and baking powder and mix.
- When you see the mixture is completely mixed, mix rest of the flour to it.
- Divide your batter equally, say 1 cup each into six bowls.
- Now add one different food coloring in each bowl and give you batter some amazing and vibrant colors. Not just red, yellow, blue or green, you can create a vibrant by adding yellow with a few drops of red until you have orange. Also, by adding red and blue you can create violet.
- Now you need to pour down your colored batters in the prepared pans. Make sure you spread an even layer as they will be thin.
- Bake your layers for around 10-15 minutes or till you see the center is set. Ensure that you don’t overbake any of the layers. Know your oven properly because these are thin layers and many ovens run hotter, which might burn them.
- After you remove them from the oven, let the layers cool down in the pan.
- Use a spatula to run it around the edges of the pan in order to loosen the cake and to remove them from the pan.
- Let all the layers rest on the cooling rack and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare for your cream cheese frosting. For that, you need to add butter and cream cheese to cream them together.
- Add vanilla and sugar to it and mix.
- Keep the first layer i.e. violet color and frost it. Then put the blue layer, a green layer, a yellow layer, orange layer, and lastly red layer. And don’t forget to frost between each layer.
- For creating a crumb coat you need to keep a thin coat of the icing on the cake. That you can make your cake even from all around and also it’ll seal any loose crumbs.
- Once you see that the coat crumb is all set, frost the cake properly.
In case you wish to serve more defined layers of frosting between the colors, just do one thing: keep your frosted cake in the refrigerator and let the frosting to firm up before you slice it.